Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bad Parenting Moment

My son, for the most part, has been a fairly good sleeper at night. It was really only in the early months that I had a lot of trouble with him. However, last night, I just couldn't get him to sleep in his crib. He would start wailing as soon as I left his sight. I was so exhausted that I gave up and brought him to our bed. I laid with him until he fell asleep, then went downstairs to load up the dishwasher, make some applesauce, and maybe workout for a bit.

Next thing I knew, I heard a THUD from upstairs, followed by a very loud cry. I ran to our bedroom to find my son on his back on the (carpeted) floor. I scooped him up and consoled him, then returned him to the bed. I quickly poked and prodded him to check for anything that might be sore, but he seemed fine. After a few minutes he quieted down and fell back asleep. I guess he had woken up, crawled around the bed, and somehow crawled around the pillows and off the bed.

I know I'm not the only parent to have kids who fell off couches and beds, but I still feel horrible. We're at another stage, one where my baby is now much more mobile than he's ever been, and I'm trying to deal and figure out how to deal with things. My kid is now always bumping into things and furniture, grabbing things he shouldn't be and putting them in his mouth (like mom's indoor slippers and the cat's tail), and some days it just makes me so exhausted.

And this is just the beginning!

No comments: