Wednesday, September 24, 2008

And The Things People Do

It really fascinates me how people interact with mothers and their babies in public.

The other day, while we were at Target, the baby was sitting in the shopping cart. A couple of young women were nearby, and as they passed us, one of them reached out to the baby to tickle him.

Again, I appreciate that people think my kid is cute, but I just wonder if people believe that when it comes to babies, there's no such thing as "personal space"? A mom in one of my moms' groups told a story about how a stranger came up to her at Costco and peeked inside her sling to look at her baby. Hello, privacy?

So yeah, strangers. While we were at the checkout line in Target, both the cashier and the lady behind were saying hello to the baby. Of course, social smile-happy baby that he is, he's grinning from ear to ear. The lady behind us comments, "look at that, he's flirting with strangers already!" I respond by telling her he flirts with all the ladies, to which she replies (quite unnecessary, I thought) "oh, I come with too much baggage."

Sheesh.

No comments: