Wednesday, November 5, 2008

November 5, 2008

We went to bed last night, after watching both speeches, full of excitement, pride, and hope. I tried to avoid bawling like a baby, but tears were inevitable. We have many more challenges ahead of us, but I am optimistic and look forward to doing what I can to make our country better and our citizens happier.

On a sadder note, Californians were fighting against bigotry and discrimination in the form of Prop 8. This measure, supported heavily by Christian groups, seeks to ban gay couples from marrying. It baffles me how a "true blue" state can support a measure which limits the rights of decent, loving human beings because they do not fit the traditional definition of married couples. I'm sorry, but I just can't buy into the whole idea of "the sanctity of marriage" unless anyone can prove that heterosexual couples can love one another more than gay couples can, or that heterosexual families have a stronger bond than homosexual families. Divorce rates, broken homes, and troubled kids point to the fact that marriage and family aren't magically protected from harm just because the union was between a man and a woman.

While I sit here today as a proud American, I also can't help but feel shameful for my Catholic upbringing.

No comments: